Saturday, January 24, 2009

Saturday...in the park...I think it was the 4th of July

None of that headline is true beyond the fact that it's Saturday. I'm at home with the girls this morning. I hesitate to say I'm babysitting. So many people get all up in arms about whether you can actually babysit your own children. Today they're acting like perfect little angels, which leads me to believe these may actually be someone else's children, so let's say I'm babysitting.

Speaking of kids, I've been thinking more and more recently about trying to write a children's book. I asked for art supplies for Christmas - mainly just a few sets of pencils and a nice art pad - and I've really been wanting to combine my previous art skillz (the ones that never paid the billz) with some kind of writing. Since I tend to be pretty juvenile, it seemed like a natural fit: I'll write a children's book.

I've spent the week trying to come up with an idea and I think I'm slowly developing one. It'd be about kids that work office jobs while their parents go to daycare of some sort. I'm thinking these kids work a white color job in an ad agency. It would be set in the future, but only by a few years, yet one kid - maybe the main kid - wears a space suit and doesn't like being asked to explain it. I'm thinking the kids would be between 3 and 5. Old enough to actually accomplish some stuff, but too young to get the irony.

So, anyway, I've been hoping to carve out some time start with some preliminary sketches of each of the characters. Start assigning them some traits, maybe flesh out a rough story. I'm thinking maybe 1,200 words or so and maybe 20 pages. The right audience would be my oldest daughter's age and she just turned four. Who knows, maybe I can pull this off.

No comments:

Post a Comment